The Glass Family

The Glass Family

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Summer--every single moment is worth it's weight in gold

I feel like the summer is flying past. It's August already. Where did the summer go? Now that Lance is in school, I'm starting to feel the crunch time and there seems to be this sense of urgency to pack in as much "summer" as we can.

Most days when we're in Charlottesville are spent at home. Lance and Jude love the show Phineas and Ferb and thanks to Netflix, there is a seemingly endless supply of episodes to help bridge the gaps between activities or to just relax a bit on a hot day. We do try to stay busy and enjoy the down time. Here are a few things we've done in the past few weeks:

Killian and Kendall turned 7! They had a fun Birthday party in their backyard that we got to attend.
The boys got to paint wooden animals. Lance picked a snake and Jude picked an alligator.

The girls decorated fairy wings.

I think Jude spent 30 seconds painting his alligator (which surprised me) and put down the brush to admire...
...the Birthday cakes! He and Bennett could not leave the cakes alone and kept coming back to drool over those tasty-looking cupcakes. Good thing they were covered or there might not have been any left for anyone else!

I love that the moms end up taking over for the kids after a while.

Working hard.

Jamie and Allison finishing their boys' snakes.


Lance checking out the girls' project.

Singing "Happy Birthday"

Oh my goodness. Do you know about these? Lance saw a Slushi Magic on an infomercial a few months ago and has been begging to get one ever since! He was so jealous that Killian and Kendall both got one for their Birthday. I think I know what Lance will be getting come September. Infomercials--you win again!


Our hammock continues to be a magnet for the kids and most days it isn't empty for long before little bodies cram inside and beg for someone to swing them. I have on occasion gotten a few peaceful minutes to myself swinging in the shade or cuddling with my boys. It's no wonder the kids love it.

Jude with his buddies.

I have been wanting to see the new movie Brave with the boys ever since it came out, and we even went as a family with our neighbors one day to catch a matinee, but as luck would have it, they were sold out. We got tickets to the new Spiderman movie which would have been okay except Cole kept making noise, all Jude wanted to do was play with the little lights in the aisles and, to top it all off, when the Lizard monster appeared for the first time, Lance was so scared he literally ran out of the theater and yelled he was not going back in. So there I was with three boys in the foyer. George got our bags and we were about to leave when the manager approached us. After hearing about our movie flop, he generously refunded our tickets! Whoo!

George has been working a lot lately, so one day I took the boys by myself to see the matinee.
It was an adventure, but we made it through and even enjoyed it. The boys were as good as could be expected and while I don't think I will shoulder all three by myself in a theater again for a while, it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.


They repaved most of our parking lot in front of our building and since most of the cars had to be parked about a block away, we took out our bikes and made the most of the empty parking lot.

Bennett was getting the hang of his trike.

Killian--he and Lance are speed demons on their bikes and literally rode circles around everyone else.

Short cut!

Jude has learned how to pedal and steer at the same time! He was quite proud to show off his new-found skills.

Lance, you're so fast you're just a blur!

I don't know how he manages to do it, but Jude often comes home with the world stuck to his face.
Even with a face like this, he's still stinkin' cute!


Jude has really started to try to imitate Lance in all the little things he does. Lance will say something, Jude repeats it. Lance jumps off the chair, Jude has to do it, too. I guess it's the "big brother can do no wrong" idolization. I think it's sweet, but Lance isn't a huge fan. Here is just one example of the two of them:
Lance always strips down to his skinnies inside the house and then runs around with his blanket. Jude has started doing the same thing. Lance rolls up like a hot dog in his blanket to watch TV, Jude tries really hard to roll up, too. Jude wants to be just like Lance. He's even started taking his shirt off at ever opportunity, just like Lance. I'm always worried people will see my shirtless boys and think I'm neglecting them. They had shirts on when they got up, okay! Crazy boys.


Since Lance missed the 4th of July with us, we saved some of our sparklers and Roman candles to do with him when he got home. We waited for a night when we were all together to light them.

Lance was in pyro heaven with the Roman Candles.

Jude thought the sparklers were neat.



See what I mean about no clothes?

Love it!



(Remember to keep scrolling down to see pictures from George's Birthday!)

No comments:

Post a Comment