I can't believe the summer is over. I feel like we haven't really had a chance to enjoy the summer as a family with George working all the time and Lance gone so much and now it's already time for school. I remember as a kid being so excited to start each new school year and wondering why my mom was so sad. Now I know.
Lance came home from San Diego late Monday night and didn't make it down to Charlottesville until Tuesday afternoon. We did some last-minute school shopping that night then put the boys to bed around 8:30. Lance was still on California time and didn't fall asleep until around 10:30. Poor guy.
Wednesday dawned bright and early and as I suspected, Lance struggled to get up. By the time we were out at the bus stop, though, he was awake and ready for the day.
Big first grader!
Killian and Kendall are going into second grade!
Getting on the bus.
After Lance got on the bus, Jude and I ran inside, fed Cole and drove over to meet Lance at the school. He still hadn't seen his classroom yet because he was in California when the Back to School open house took place, so I wanted to be there to show him the way.
Jude and Cole waiting patiently for Lance to get off the bus.
Here comes Killian, Kendall...
...and Lance!
We walked to Lance's classroom and he found a seat. Jude jumped right up, too. He's been telling me he needs a backpack and wanted to ride the bus. Three more years, buddy!
Drawing before class starts.
Ready to start the day! He was excited, but not quite as excited as last year. Hopefully that will change. He has a great teacher that actually worked with him last year during reading time. She has been doing ESL and reading with the kids in Kindergarten and first grade for the last five years, but this year decided to return to teaching her own classroom. I think Lance will thrive under her watch.
Jude, Cole and I played with our friends that morning and then the boys took naps while I made chocolate chip cookies for the kids to eat as a snack when they got home from school.
Before we knew it, they were hopping off the bus, their first day of school behind them. Lance told me it was "good".
Cookies and milk! And of course I made sweet milk, as is tradition, although Melissa and I were the only ones to drink it.
Have you noticed Lance looking a little snaggle-toothed in the pictures? He lost a tooth while he was gone in California!
He told me the tooth fairy brought him a whole dollar! Lucky boy!
Mmmm. The only thing better than eating chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon is eating chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon while relaxing in a hammock. Jude, you do it right!
Lance, I hope this year is a great one for you! You are so bright and creative: you will succeed at whatever you put your mind to. I can't believe you're already in first grade. Don't grow up too fast, okay? I want to enjoy you being my little boy just a little bit longer...




No comments:
Post a Comment