The Glass Family

The Glass Family

Friday, February 3, 2012

Milestones

39 weeks, 4 days. But who's counting?

Today was one of those days when I understood why people say "enjoy this time because before you know it, it's over".

We've been getting things together for this new little baby and one of the last things we did was wash the bassinet and set it up next to our bed. Jude thought it was tons of fun to climb in and yell "Too big! Ju Ju too big!"

Yes, Jude. You are too big. When did that happen? I feel like it was not very long ago he was the little baby we brought home from the hospital and placed so carefully in the bassinet.

It's hard to believe two years have come and gone since he was this size. 

And speaking of growing up, Lance lost his first tooth today!!

It's been loose for a while and the past two nights I've tried to convince him to let me pull it (a little selfish because I wanted to get a picture and maybe a video--it's a big deal!), but he decided to pull it out all by himself at school today. He got off the bus and immediately showed me the little blue treasure chest that held that lost tooth.

I still feel like he's too young to be getting "adult" teeth, but apparently his mouth has other ideas. It's strange when you think about it... a tiny reminder that he is growing up and putting off childish things as he learns and explores, like a small piece of his childhood is behind him, forcefully removed to make room for new experiences on his inevitable march toward maturity.

It scares me to think that my time with my children is slowly ticking away--usually unnoticed until something like this makes me stop and realize they are growing up. Have I taken advantage of the time I have with them to build memories and a good relationship? I can honestly say I go to bed most nights feeling guilty I didn't do more, appreciate them more, that I wasn't more patient or kind. It reminds me of an article I read a little while ago. It's a fabulous read, written by an honest mother, about seizing the little moments along the way. If you get a minute, read it. It is uplifting, funny, and wonderful.

And now I'm off to wash some dishes with Jude, one of his favorite activities because he gets to play in the water. We're still waiting around for our newest addition to arrive. We'll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment