The Glass Family

The Glass Family

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Snow Day

Last Monday I got a call at 5:30 in the morning. School was cancelled for the day because of snow! I hadn't heard that there was supposed to be snow, so it was a huge surprise for us.

Lance and Jude were both thrilled and by 10 a.m. we were all dressed and ready to enjoy the second (and probably last) snow of the year.

We don't have a sled, so we improvised.
George and Jude were pretty successful using the plastic lid to a large bin. Jude thought sliding 10 feet down the little hill next to our apartment was the greatest thing ever.

Lance, Killian and Kendall all gave it a try, too.

Look, Mom! Snow!


Yay! No school!
(Love the outfit, Lance. I later wrestled him into some appropriate snow attire, but I guess he was just too excited when we first saw the snow and grabbed the first things he could find. I mean, he didn't even zip up his jacket!)

George tried to pave the way to make the plastic lids slide a little bit farther.

It worked a bit. :)


Jude was in love with the snow. This is the first winter he has been aware and able to play in it, so it was a treat to watch him soaking in all the fun.


George had a break-through idea and remembered we have an inflatable airplane toy for the pool. If it works in water, it should work in snow, right?
Jude sure thought so.

As did Lance.

We got tired of playing on our little hill, so we walked down to our neighbor's hill a couple buildings away.

Killian and Kendall brought out their sled. Perfect since it could fit all three of them at once.

Lucy and Bennett came out to play, too. I think we had five or six kids on the sled at one time.


Cole took it easy and stayed warm inside Jamie's house while we played outside.

And it wouldn't be any kind of snow day without building a snowman.
George, Lance and Killian worked together to roll an enormous snowball into the bottom of the snowman.

It was huge!

And everyone else helped to shape the rest. Jamie was nice and took some pictures so I could be in it. Thanks, Jamie!

Killian, Jude, Kendall, Lance and Britton with our snowman. Lucy and Bennett were too busy sledding to stop and get in the picture. :)


Finally, as tradition in my family whenever we had a snow-day, I made some homemade bread and the kids had it for a snack before bed.
Now I understand why my mom always loved it when we had a snowday and everyone got to stay home. It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment