When we got there Saturday afternoon, George's family was in the middle of painting half the main level in their house, so George stayed to help out and the boys and I drove to my Mom's house and went swimming with my brother Jason, sister Laura, and cousin Jacob. Mom came along as the photographer. It was Jude's first time in the pool and while he was a little reserved at first, by the end he was smiling and splashing in the water with the rest of them.

Jude and Grandma by the pool. Jude loves the water!
My boys. Lance is quite the fish now and can't get enough of the pool.
A little hesitant, but willing. He's a trooper. :)
I'm trying to be a "fun" mom and get in the water--even though I hate being cold!
Growing up, I always vowed I'd be a fun Mom like my parents and get in the pool with the kids while they're swimming. True to my word, I hopped in and was so glad I did! We had a blast and it was wonderful to cool off on such a hot, humid day. The only downside was George missed it. Oh well. He was being a good son and helping his dad paint. We'll have more opportunities to swim this summer.
After the pool, George met back up with us and we headed over to Windmill Park in Ashburn to watch the annual Memorial Weekend fireworks. We've gone several years in a row and it's never been a disappointment. As an added bonus, we ran into "Chester" (that's not really his name, but how he's known among the kiddies), the ice cream man that used to patrol George's street as a kid. George has told me many stories about "Chester" and how he was super nice and gave the kids the broken ice cream treats for free. I told George I was going to take his picture with the ice cream guy and he was slightly embarrassed, so I didn't make them pose and managed to snap this candid when George bought popsicles for himself and Lance:
After the pool, George met back up with us and we headed over to Windmill Park in Ashburn to watch the annual Memorial Weekend fireworks. We've gone several years in a row and it's never been a disappointment. As an added bonus, we ran into "Chester" (that's not really his name, but how he's known among the kiddies), the ice cream man that used to patrol George's street as a kid. George has told me many stories about "Chester" and how he was super nice and gave the kids the broken ice cream treats for free. I told George I was going to take his picture with the ice cream guy and he was slightly embarrassed, so I didn't make them pose and managed to snap this candid when George bought popsicles for himself and Lance:
Lance's treat.
Even Jude got to sample the popsicle. Thanks, Daddy! It was funny because Jude had a blue mouth for the rest of the evening and every time I looked at him, I did a double-take because he looked cyanotic. I kept having to remind myself that he was still breathing and the blue wasn't lack of oxygen but dye from the ice cream.
Waiting for the fireworks.
My mom and her husband Glenn (they were married in January!)
Fireworks!
When the fireworks started, Jude took it like he takes everything--surprised curiosity. He watched and watched, but never cried or even looked too concerned. We had a great time! Lance LOVES fireworks and had fun trying to get Jude excited about them, too.
George and Jude enjoying the fireworks.
I love this picture--Jude is trying so hard to see the fireworks and Lance found a perfect perch from which he could enjoy the scene. What a good Daddy!
They were really pretty!
Sunday, we went to Church in the morning and then came back to Heather's Mom's house for lunch. Most of the day was spent relaxing and being with family. George's family continued their painting and we all tried to pitch in to help out.
I think they were looking at a butterfly.

Is Lance trying to shoot the butterfly? Jude seems curious about the gun. Actually, I think Lance was talking about shooting robins and eating them in a pie. Yum?
George and his dad "cutting in" the ceiling and trim before painting the walls.
Oops! Uh, we can fix that later. (George's dad and brother, Nathan)
Monday was another day to just relax. George and I got our hair cut with his brothers and cousin (yes, I chopped off a good 6 inches... still getting used to it). The painting continued and the boys and I hung out. My family was all out of town, some at Kings Dominion and my mom and Glenn in Maryland. We did end up going to the mall to find George some jeans and Lance and I had a great time riding the little train around and getting some candy from the candy store while George looked. We stopped by my mom's house to say goodbye and then drove back home to Charlottesville.
Jude playing in the grass.
We had a great weekend! Happy Memorial Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment