The Glass Family

The Glass Family

Friday, November 9, 2012

Painting pumpkins

Carving pumpkins is usually an activity for adults. I mean, sure the kids can help hallow out the "guts" as my boys like to call them, but really most of the time is spent with the kids watching the adults carve. 

In an attempt to help the kids get involved, we painted pumpkins this year. We did it a couple years ago when Lance was 5 and Jude was about 10 months old (only 1 month older than Cole is now) and it was lots of fun, so for Family Home Evening before Halloween, we broke out the paint and brushes, stripped the boys down to their skinnies and let them go.

Cole was very excited about the paint, but couldn't decide if he liked it better on the pumpkin or on his face (and in his mouth... yuck!)

Jude worked very hard to paint his pumpkin just right, although every time I asked him what he was painting I got a different answer. "Mmm. I'm painting an apple." "I'm painting a face." "I have no idea."

Lance had a vision in mind before we even started. He's been loving himself some mantra rays after riding the new Manta ride at Lego Land this summer with his dad, so it was pretty clear what he was going to put on his pumpkin.

Cole thought it was fabulous. He couldn't stop smiling and laughing. (Can you see his four little teeth coming in on the top? That makes 6 teeth all together so far.) Just ignore the green paint all up in his mouth.

It reminded me of Jude two years ago when we did this with him:
I'm not sure what the little guys see in the taste of paint, but whatever it is, they love it.

I'll paint my hands! This feels amazing.

Pumpkin. Paint the pumpkin. Okay, got it.

And now back to my hands. At least it's not his mouth this time.

And with that, it was bath time for everyone! 

After the kids were all clean, we took a group shot with their pumpkins.
Jude still couldn't decide what he had painted on his pumpkin. Whatever it was, it was colorful and very gold. Lance on the other hand was very meticulous about his painting. He painted a manta ray chasing a fish on his pumpkin. He did a great job! Lance is really budding into quite the artist.

Painting pumpkins? Check!

No comments:

Post a Comment