The Glass Family

The Glass Family

Monday, April 9, 2012

The Rotunda and a hair cut

While Lance was gone for the week and with George doing his Wilderness medicine rotation, I had the fun job of keeping the two little boys entertained last week. That mostly meant we spent the majority of each morning vegging in front of the Disney Channel, then naps, then hanging out with Daddy when he got home from work. Some entertainment, huh?

We did get to break up the monotony a bit, though. We hung out at the Elmer's house a lot, played at the park with friends, and ran errands. One day we even got together with some friends and had a picnic at the Rotunda.

I think there were 6 moms all together and 12 kids all 4 years old and under. You can imagine the looks we got when we all climbed onto the bus that morning to ride to Central Grounds. Everyone was very patient with us and it ended up being as smooth a ride as possible.

The kids were in heaven to be riding a cool bus!
Jude just kept looking around and smiling. I think this is his second time riding a bus and he thought it was fantastic.

Happy boy!

 Most of our group--Allison came a little bit later with her three cute kiddies.

The weather was beautiful! Sunny and warm with the trees beginning to flower and show their colors.

On The Lawn in front of the Rotunda eating our picnic lunch.

As my friend Jamie said, this just screams Virginia. These boys had fun running around and around the pillars in front of the rooms on The Lawn. Upper classmen rent out these single rooms to live for a year. There is a long waiting list, as it is an honor to live right off The Lawn. Funny thing, because they don't have central air, a bathroom, or any kind of kitchen at all. It's a single room with a fireplace and the bathrooms are shared, so you have to go outside OUTSIDE to get there. Sounds uncomfortable, but it must not be too bad. Even Edgar Allen Poe lived in one of these rooms!

Handsome boy!


Boys, boys, boys!



I'm not entirely sure what the kids found so entertaining in these bushes, but they all walked up and down the rows for probably 15 minutes without getting bored.

Jude and Bo being silly in front of the Rotunda.

On the steps of the Rotunda. Cole wasn't too pleased and kept trying to sleep.

 I like Jude's smile in this picture. :)

We're missing two of our friends in this picture, but you get the idea of the group we had that day.

These kids are all good buddies which made it so much fun!

And of course I had to get a picture of my sweet boys together.

Jude sure loves Cole.

Okay, funny Jude story. Jude is usually really REALLY good with Cole. He'll love on him and pet his head and give him his pacifier if he's crying. He gives him kisses and will routinely state "I love him!" without being prompted. It is so sweet.

Anyway, the other day I heard Cole suddenly start crying pretty hard and I knew something had happened. I run out into the family room where Jude and Cole were and asked Jude why Cole was crying.

Jude (totally straight-faced, like it's no big deal): "I punch him."

Me: "You punched him?"

Jude: "Like this!" and makes a punching action in the air.

Simultaneously aghast and half-laughing at his matter-of-fact tattling on himself, we talk about not hitting, being nice to our brother, etc. He said he understood and we carried on with our day. A couple days go by and I hear Cole crying hard again. I don't think I even asked Jude what happened--he just came and tattled on himself.

"I punch him. I punch him in the nose." and shows me again the punching action. Huh.

Needless to say after some more serious intervening, I think we've now well established the "no punching" rule. Hopefully it sticks. Crazy boy.


And in other news, Jude got his hair cut for the first time--ever. Yes, that's right. Jude is 2 years and 3 months old and had never had his hair cut before, aside from me snipping a few long strands that dangled over his ears. His hair has grown so slowly there has never really been a need to cut it, but the length was all uneven.

Friday, George and I decided it was time and strapped him into his little chair to begin. Jude was excited about it!
Jude and his barber ready to go!

Not entirely sure what to think about the whole thing.

Daddy, that tickles!

He was moving around so much, I started a favorite movie (Phineas and Ferb) and he sat still much better.

The only time he started getting upset was when George tried to trim the hair around his ears using the clippers without the comb on it. Other than that, it went without a hitch.

Look at my hair! Honestly, can you even see much of a difference?

Yeah, Jude. That's kinda how I feel about it, too. George did a great job with this being Jude's first haircut, but I do miss his soft little head. Now whenever I run my hand over his hair, it feels like, well, cut hair instead of his silky soft hair he used to have. And there are a couple little spots on the back where Jude backed into the clippers and cut his hair shorter than the rest. Oh well. With the rate his hair grows, those spots should grow back in about a year or so. :)

Jude, you are a handsome boy!

Oh! And in other news, at 8 weeks old Cole is now a laughing boy! His first laugh happened while George was bathing him and Jude one night last week. He loves it when we clap his hands together for him, when he takes a bath, and when we get him to do things like shake a rattle. He is getting to be so much fun! He has a very sweet, calm personality and usually doesn't cry without a discernible reason. He even sleeps for 5-6 hour stretches at night most nights which is amazing for me. Yay, Cole!

No comments:

Post a Comment