Yep. This afternoon I asked Lance if I could flush his black molly fish and he said yes. So I did. No, the fish wasn't hurt, sick, or dying. She was just the spawn of Satan.
When Lance first got his fish tank, he got a black molly and two white catfish. They did pretty well together so we decided to add a few more fish. None of those fish lived. They all died within a few days of being placed in the tank. We weren't sure what was going on, so we stopped adding fish and just stayed with the original three, thinking maybe our tank hadn't cycled completely.
A few weeks ago, I noticed that our cute little catfish were missing most of their fins... they had rugged stumps left. I thought maybe they were sick or had fin rot, but it turns out the black molly was biting their fins off! So I started to feed them more, thinking that maybe the molly was just super hungry and they were fighting over food.
Nope. She's just the devil.
Today I watched this horrible fish chase the two catfish around for no reason and bite them. She just had babies, too, and ate all but two of them within 24 hours. I realize this is a natural thing, but it still upset me as I watched her chase these tiny fish around the tank and hoover them like they were fish flakes. The last straw was when I was looking at the little catfish I noticed that one of them was missing a fin entirely. There wasn't even a stump left.
So I marched myself over to our neighbor's house where Lance was playing and asked him if I could flush his molly (he was upset that this fish was killing and beating up all the other fish, too). He was a little sad afterwards, but forgot about it after I promised we'd get another fish. I almost felt bad right after I flushed. Almost.
Hopefully we'll now have peace in our tank and the two small babies left will get along with the catfish and not take after their cannibal mother.
Who knew a fish tank would be so much drama?
No comments:
Post a Comment