OBX day 2 was spent mostly on the beach. It was a beautiful, hot day--perfect beach weather.
Jude getting ready to be in the sun. I love this picture!
Allen, Jen, Pop-pop, Callie, and Lance out enjoying the waves.
You can't tell right here, but there were some good 6-foot wave if you got out past your waist. The under-toe was pretty strong, too.
The kids. If Lance has his goggles on, there is no wave that scares him. He likes to dive in head-first or try to body surf.
Allen
Lance and Pop-pop watching the waves.
Callie and Pop-pop fighting the current.
Jen and Bryce
Grandmom playing with Jude under the canopy.
There were TONS of jelly fish that washed up on shore and were floating the surf. They didn't hurt when they stung you, but they left itchy places that were more annoying than anything else.
Doing the lotion rub.
Jude crashed in Grandmom's arms, so while he was asleep, George and I tried to catch some waves with the boogie boards. It was simultaneously the scariest thing I've done at the beach and possibly the most fun. The waves were huge (5 and 6 feet) and very strong and choppy. It was almost impossible to catch them and when you did, you almost wished you hadn't. I've never been tossed around like that--the waves would really just take you and have their way with you. Once you got out in the water up to your shoulders, you had to just ride with the current--there was no fighting it. Even just getting out that far was a feat. George and I spent a good 20 minutes catching waves before we staggered back in, both sporting casualties. I caught one wave that dumped me off, twisted me around, and then grabbed the board and ripped it off my wrist, leaving bruises and scrapes in it's wake. George caught a wave that tossed him and while he was under the water bent him into a "reverse taco" or "scorpion" where his feet ended up over his head the wrong way. Two days later, we're both still sore and George's back is pretty stiff. Was it worth it? Most definitely!
Grandmom and Pop-pop enjoying the beach.
George, Eric, and Terry all tried to surf the waves but didn't really succeed. I didn't get any pictures because they were so far out and the current washed them down the beach too fast to get any good ones. George said it was a lot of fun to be out there in such huge waves trying to catch one. I wish I had brought my board so I could have joined them.
After the beach, we went back to the beach house and cooled off in the pool. Jude and Lance had a great time riding the surf board around.
My boys.
George had to get back to Northern Virgina, so we packed our things, loaded the boys, and drove back to Ashburn, stopping in Charlottesville on our way to pick up the other car. It was a long trip, but the boys did a great job! I'm so glad we got to spend time with the Glass family at the Outer Banks, even if it was a short trip. Such is the life of a med student!
Your kids call George's dad Pop-pop, but they don't call his mom Gangy? You should be more consistent... :)
ReplyDelete