My sister, Amy, celebrated her 25th Birthday on May 2nd (her birthday being on the 3rd). It was a great time with our family. Not one to be left out of the fun, Lance convinced me it was a good idea for him to have his own little candle to blow out at the end of the Birthday song. You can tell how pleased he is. I'm glad I could do something so small, but make him so happy.
Also of note on May 2nd, Jude's first two teeth broke through the gums! On the day he turned 4 months old! I still can't believe my little baby has teeth. George's dad has been telling us for weeks that he was teething and we just laughed at him. We need to listen to PopPop more often! The teething process hasn't been too bad, just a whole lot of drool (and I'm talking "soaked clothes down to his belly button/I can't believe you're not dehydrated" drool) and wanting to put everything including other people's fingers in his mouth. Good job, Jude! Way to be an overachiever! He is also learning how to roll over and has done so a few times. :) He's just like Lance was--always moving and wanting to be older from the start.
Lance discovered sidewalk chalk and we've had a blast drawing pictures on our road out front. We live at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac so there wasn't any danger of cars. We drew a lot of tanks and in the picture above, Lance is drawing a baby scorpion inside the mommy scorpion he had me draw. He's really into scorpions, for some reason.
George got into the action when he came home from his hospital rotation for the day. He's showing Lance how to draw this ugly man he would always draw on the chalkboard in High School. Ah, the memories. I love Jude's little face peeking over George's shoulder.
Lance has brought this set of puppies with him everywhere he's gone this month--even inside stores and in my diaper bag at Church. (He couldn't play with the puppies, but he wanted them inside anyway.) He requested this picture to be taken... which is a pretty big deal for Lance who absolutely despises pictures and subsequently will not look at the camera ever! Lance is always talking about the things he'll build for his puppies--you know, the real ones he'll get someday--like his puppy plane, and his puppy house. I've been commissioned to sew puppy blankets and so far we have the material and the stuffing. The only thing lacking is the time. Isn't that always the case?

A hornet? So, over the past few weeks I've watched this mother hornet build this nest on the door jam of our shed. A rather precarious place, if you ask me, but it seems to work. For those of you who have seen our house, you know that our shed houses our clothes dryer and must be accessed routinely. George thinks I'm crazy, but for some reason I can't bring myself to kill the hornet and destroy the nest. Maybe it's the mother in me--watching how this hornet has carefully built the nest for her babies day by day and then guards them constantly. She is always there, always watching. Whenever I go inside the shed, she turns and watches me with spread wings (I guess to warn me off?). I haven't been attacked, just watched. I have to admit I'm nervous going into the shed, but I still can't stomach the idea of destroying this little mother and her babies. Am I crazy? Probably.
that "mother and little babies" could sting YOUR babies!!! KILL IT!
ReplyDeleteSo, the hornet flew in my house the other day and I realized George was right--I'm crazy not to get rid of the nest. So... Lance and I took care of it. :(
ReplyDelete