The Glass Family

The Glass Family

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Cole--2 1/2 years old


Cole. I can't get enough of this little boy. I think this is my favorite age--18 months to 3 years old. I've never understood people who talk about how two is so difficult. Here are some of the precious things I want to remember about Cole at this age:

He has the softest voice when he's talking. Screaming with brothers is entirely different and he can hold his own, but when he's talking you have to listen carefully or you'll miss it. He also has an interesting cadence when he talks and will pause between words. "I build...my...train tracks." Cole has a large vocabulary but is reserved with his words.

He's my only child so far that is attached to things. He has his favorite items that he simply cannot be without and will carry them around wherever he goes. These items do change from time to time. It was his Wonder Woman cape (he's wearing it in the picture above) that he insisted on wearing everywhere including church, and a train he would carry with him at all times. Before that it was a TMNT sword and now it's a large Thomas train. He literally has it with him everywhere and sleeps with it at night. 

His biggest obsession is trains. Anything about trains. Any picture, any toy, any book--it's amazing to him. We'll be driving and he knows where all the tracks are in Charlottesville. If there happens to be a train going past he will watch it with this enormous grin on his face the entire time. Every single day he'll dump out our large bin full of trains and tracks and make his own little tracks which he'll run his trains on for hours at a time. His infatuation with trains is so deep that he see "train tracks" everywhere. That seam on your jeans? Nope, that's a train track. Loading the dishes into the washer? Well, be prepared to have the bottom "train" become a moving target as Cole slides it back and forth on the "train tracks".

His favorite thing right behind trains is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He loves the show, he loves the toys, he loves talking about them. His favorite turtle is Mikey. 

Cole loves playing with Jude and Lance but can be found most often playing by himself. He can entertain himself for hours. It makes me feel bad for him a bit--was he neglected and so learned how to have fun without a playmate, or is this just how he is? I think it's more the latter, but I do make an extra effort to lay down next to him and engage him when I can.

He is my little buddy. He wants to be with me all the time. Even if that means leaving his toys, he'll come run errands with me instead of staying home with the other kiddos.

Cole loves Lily and asks to hold her every day.

He doesn't know how to kiss. If we ask him to give a kiss, he'll lean his cheek up and press it to yours. 

He is tough! This kid can take a fall or skin his knee and after a whimper he's up and running again like it's no big deal. It takes a lot to make him cry.

He likes to color and paint. He'd much rather play with playdough, color with markers or play with his trains than watch TV.

He loves the movie "Frozen" and his favorite character is Elsa. He can sing parts of many of the songs. When we first watched the movie, he would run around knocking on doors and singing, "Elsa? Do you want to build a snowman?"

Cole calls all pine trees "Christmas trees".

Whenever he sees a candle, he'll start singing "Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you!" and then try to blow it out.

If he wants to show you something, he'll grab your hand and start pulling you saying, "Come. Come here."

He hugs with his head. He'll walk over to Lily and say, "I love her!" and then give her a "hug" by snuggling his head down next to hers. It's adorable.

This child loves the water just like his brothers. He enjoys the pool, the creek, the lakes and the sprinklers. He and Jude will even try to hop in anytime George or I shower which means shower time is often a family affair.

I really cannot get enough of this little boy. George and I often talk about how he's just the cutest thing in the world. From his big almost black eyes to his sweet, happy smile, this child is 100% adorable. I just want to squeeze him and not let go. I love coming home from running errands to have him run and greet me at the door with a "Mom! You came...back!" I love having him bring me books and asking me to read him stories, or to sit next to him to watch TMNT or Phineas and Ferb. I love laying next to him at night (something that started with Lance and now I will lay next to each of the boys in turn at night) and having little conversations about the day, or his trains, or whatever. I love scooping him up and having a snuggle while he laughs. Love this boy!


No comments:

Post a Comment