The last week in June was special this year because we got to spend it with my brother Chad. He's been living in New York City and then Miami for the past five years while he went to Dental School at Columbia and then began an Orthodontic program in Miami right after graduation. We haven't seen too much of him these past several years, so when we heard he was going to be in Ashburn for a week, the boys and I just had to be there! George wasn't able to come since he started his Residency the day we drove up.
My three boys with their three uncles.
This was the first time Chad got to meet Cole!
While we were up in Ashburn, we got to finally celebrate Jason's 18th Birthday.
He asked for Paula Deen's Banana Pudding for his cake. If you've never had this, it is A-MAZ-ING.
And of course it wouldn't be a visit with Chad without haircuts! Chad cuts Jason's and Stephen's hair for them whenever he's in town, so I thought Lance should get in on the free-haircut action!
It turned out great!
One day while we were up there, we went to the park with Tyler and Mason. It's a great park that has sections for each age group.
Jude and Mason had a good time on the bouncy bus.
Cole spent most of the time in a swing. Thanks, Aunt Amy!
And Lance had to test out his monkey skills as usual. I asked him if he remembered coming to this park when he was little. He and I lived with my mom in Ashburn for a couple years when he was 1 until he just turned 3 and we frequented this park. He said he didn't remember, but I sure do!
Here's a small glimpse down memory lane:
Lance was just barely one year old when this picture was taken.
Lance on the bouncy bus with Jason and Stephen. Look how little they were!
Sweet baby. Oh Lance... this was a fun age.
Anyway, back to present. While we were at the park, Mason decided he wanted to play in the little creek that was there and ran off with Jude close behind. I leisurely got Cole and the stroller and headed over with Amy, only to hear my name being yelled by Tyler. I walk around the corner and see a large port-a-potty and Tyler standing outside. Suddenly the door opens and I see this bright, shiny naked bottom come streaking out. Jude apparently thought he needed to use the bathroom and stripped himself bare, diaper and all. I had to laugh.
Look at those white biscuits!
Mason, meanwhile, stayed occupied in the water.
I did finally manage to get a diaper on Jude. I would have taken another picture of him, but families were walking past and I probably looked like a terrible parent, so his naked time was cut short.
Back at my mom's house, we spent a few days helping her clear out some of the garage. It was fun to open boxes and go through some old things from when we were little.
Cole really liked Grandma's old necklaces. I remember sitting in Church on her lap and playing with these beads. And what do you know? They're actually back in style! Laura even adopted a set to wear.
Oh my goodness. This is our Family Home Evening apron we used when we were growing up. Each pocket had a picture that represented a song, so when it was our turn to pick a song, we got to reach into the pocket of our choice. Can you guess what songs go with those four pictures? Aunt Cherryl made it for our family years and years ago. And now it's mine!
This picture is very special. My mom and dad finger-painted it together on their first date at BYU.
This is the poem my dad wrote that is in the bottom corner. Love it!
The top choice of activities for the boys was going to the pool. We only got to go one day and it was COLD from the wind that was blowing, but it was still fun to be there with Chad and Stephen.
Getting some sun.
That pavement felt nice in the sun.
Jude was loving the audience.
Chad braved the cold water to play with Jude. That's love! (Notice how the pool is completely empty?)
Chad and Jude played a trick on Lance as pay-back when Lance splashed Uncle Chad. Lance didn't think it was very funny.
And in between all these activities, we just hung out. One day we drove about 30 minutes to have lunch at Cafe Rio. Yum! Chad and I got to go to the gym together twice, thanks to Laura and her passes (she works at Lifetime and got us in for free!). Score!
While cleaning out the garage, Mom found a couple air mattresses that she had the boys test out to make sure they were sound. We found the one with a hole and it turned into the greatest toy ever! They spent hours jumping on it until it was flat, only to fill it up and start all over again.
Even Cole got into the action. Lance thought it was great to jump on the mattress and send Cole into the air. Cole thought it was pretty fun, too.
Snuggle time with Uncle Jason.
One night we got frozen yogurt from the local Zinga together. It was great! Look, Mom with her six kids.
We sure loved being with Uncle Chad! It was a fun week. We'll get to see him next when we all go to Florida in August. I can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment