We have a new obsession here at our house:
HARRY POTTER!
I've been trying to get Lance interested in reading (he totally can and will when I force him, he just doesn't want to do it on his own) so I checked out the first Harry Potter book on CD a couple months ago and we started listening to it in the car when we drove. What usually ended up happening was Lance would zone out and start talking about other things while I sat there entranced, listening to the whole thing.
We finally finished it and as a treat, he watched the movie with me and Jason. After that, he decided he wanted to listen to the second book. It went a little bit better than the first, but he still wasn't that interested and got bored really fast. Oh well.
So, the end result? I'm now working my way through all 7 books and Lance has watched the first 4 movies. I don't think we're going to watch the other ones, though, because after the 4th, they get pretty dark.
Last week we had a "movie night" with Lance's friends and they all watched the 4th Harry Potter movie. The day before we had painted "wands" (they were really chopsticks) to prepare.
Jabrien, Killian, and Lance. Kendall came over later and painted her own, and I painted one for Jude so he wouldn't feel left out.
"Expelliarmus!"
They had a great time eating popcorn and watching Harry Potter and trying to cast spells on each other. I'm not sure how much watching really got done, but we had fun and that was the point.
I am currently on the 5th book, the last one I read about 10 years ago. I still have never read the 6th or 7th, but I figured I'd better go back and read the earlier ones before I dive right in to the meat of the story. It's been interesting trying to find time to read. I have a sneaky suspicion I won't be done with the series for a long, long time. :)


So fun! I was wondering if you've tried reading the Magic Tree House books to him? Those are so fun and might be a little easier for him to understand. (Sorry I can't help but let the teacher in me come out). Those are also available in audiobooks and are so fun. Also, there's the Nate the Great books, the Frog and Toad books, Chocolate Fever, The Chocolate Touch, and tons of other fun books.
ReplyDeleteReading aloud to him will help him so much as he is learning to read (but I'm sure you already know that)
Just thought I'd share. I love seeing pictures of your boys, they are so cute and getting so big!