The Glass Family

The Glass Family

Monday, October 29, 2018

Halloween costumes--THOR Ragnarok!

This year our family discovered one of our all-time favorite movies: Thor Ragnarok! We have it on replay in the van when we drive to Northern Virginia or run errands and our kids have it basically memorized. When we asked them what they wanted to be for Halloween, the answers were immediate:

Lexi wanted to be Hulk.
Image result for thor ragnarok

Lily wanted to be Valkyrie.
Cole wanted to be Thor.
Related image

And I wanted to be Hela.
Image result for thor ragnarok

George picked Tony Stark. (From Avengers Infinity War)
Image result for tony stark tracksuit

Jude is really into an anime called Naruto, so he picked that. 
Image result for naruto
Lance is too cool to dress up for Halloween.

Here are the kiddos at our Ward's Trunk or Treat. We weren't quite done with the costumes, but they were wearable.




As in years past, I made several pieces of most of the costumes. Here is the start of Cole's Thor costume:

I got the plans for the helmet off the internet and sized it down a bit (it was still too big...oh well!). It's made of EVA foam that I glued together with rubber cement.


I took Thor's helmet template and modified it to create Lexi's Hulk helmet. It is also made of EVA foam.


Lily wanted to be Valkyrie and after scouring the internet for ideas, I sat down and sketched out my own design that I sewed together. Here's the start!

(I had ordered a morphsuit in kids' size for some reason--we didn't end up using it, but the kids sure had fun running around all in black. It was honestly a little creepy not seeing their face.)

Hand-stitching Lily's costume together at the gym. It's great because the kids can play for 2.5 hours, so I get a chance to work out AND get work done!

The main piece finished!


A couple more views:



Here's Cole's helmet almost finished! 


I also designed my own pattern for Cole's costume--made of faux leather and foam inserts that I sewed around to create the armor look. I like the way it turned out! George used his artistic ability and did the paint.





Lexi's helmet for Hulk. I wasn't as pleased with this one since it ended up not fitting correctly on her head (she ended up going without it after a few pictures), but it looks pretty cool. I used a broom to make the fringe on top.


George made himself an arc reactor for his Tony costume as well! I'm not sure how exactly he did it, but it was impressive! He designed it himself and used several different items like a battery pack and a tap light to create the light he attached to his shirt. It. Was. Cool.


Just a few more final touches and we'll be ready for Trick or Treating on the Lawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment