The Glass Family

The Glass Family

Thursday, January 22, 2015

January mash-up: Birthday chicken, stink bugs, and noodles

Okay, time for catch-up!

We had about a day to catch our breath after coming home from Great Wolf Lodge, then it was onto New Years! George was working, but made it home around 8 to celebrate. We had our friends the Elmers over for some fondue and they brought a couple friends as well. Totally unlike me, I didn't take any pictures, but it was a good time. We sat around chatting, eating fried steak, shrimp and dipping goodies in chocolate. We even watched the ball drop on the computer (lack of cable). Lily hit the hay earlier, but all the boys managed to make it to midnight. Happy New Year!

Lance recieved this micro-Lego kit from Aunt Amy for Christmas and couldn't wait to put it together. He's really good at Legos and whipped it up in no time.




Jude's Birthday was January 2nd and since we weren't doing a party until later, we celebrated by having dinner at the restaurant of his choice. He bypassed several options like Outback, Bonefish, even Red Robin and decided his Birthday would not be complete unless we ate at Chick Fil A. 

After dinner, we drove over to Ben and Jerry's and everyone got ice cream. George was home with the flu and wasn't able to make it. :(







Jude got the game Skylander's Trap Team for Christmas. It was his favorite gift and a game he has been wanting for months now. He, George and Lance spent hours playing it and beat the entire game in less than a week! Jude has become quite proficient at video games and will beat entire levels of this game and Mario World 3D without any help! Now if only he was that proficient at his alphabet...
George got a kick out of the games, too. This guy grew up playing video games; I think he's excited to share this love with the kids.




Aunt Amy got this adorable dress for Lily for Christmas. We were on our way to church and I couldn't resist taking a few pictures. She is such a doll.

See that phone she's carrying? 

Yep, this is what it looked like about 5 minutes later:
I have to say I'm impressed. I don't think I've ever seen a screen this thoroughly and badly cracked. While I was snapping pictures of Lily being cute in her dress, she managed to drop my phone face down on our tile. Ugh. Too bad we have Boost and pay month-to-month. No contract means we pay for phones out of pocket, so I'm stuck with this one for a bit. I put some packing tape over the screen to stop the shards from falling out and it works okay. It now has a few extra nuances, but for the most part still works fine. (For example, whenever I make a call the screen goes blank and won't turn back on, so I can't hang up. Makes for awkward moments at the end of the call just waiting for the other party to hang up, or heaven forbid I have to leave a message and then I'm fumbling at the end to take out the battery, as it's the only way to end the call.) Thanks, Lily.



Moving out of family housing, I was sure we would be leaving all the bugs behind. Nope, I was wrong! No roaches from nasty neighbors this time (thank goodness! so ready to get rid of those!) but since we live in a very wooded area, we have hundreds of these in our house:

Stink bugs! At first I was horrified and spent a good portion of each day finding them and either vacuuming them or flushing them, but familiarity really does breed complacency and it's not so bad anymore. Yes, I hate finding them crawling on my toothbrush, or hearing them buzzing around at night, or sorting the laundry only to have a couple that were hiding in the folds fall out and stink up the place, but we're used to it.
Stink bugs have no natural predators, but I think we've also found the single animal that will eat these willingly. Bender apparently thinks these guys are fun to eat and will gladly chow down whenever he sees one. So gross. Thanks Bender, for taking one for the team! 


Cole is the cutest. Really. This season he was obsessed with Santa's hat and often ran around the house wearing one.



Spending time with Daddy:

These kids love being with their Dad, even if he's asleep after a long hard shift in the ED. 



Much of January's evening were spent prepping for Jude's Birthday party. 

Bender is worse than a cat. Anytime I get out a project and try to work on the floor, he has to be right there in my face, in the middle of whatever I'm doing.


Falcon came to visit one night. Bender LOVES Falcon and while the feeling isn't exactly mutual, they're pretty good friends. Falcon is fairly patient with Bender's unending enthusiasm and this last time he came, the dogs were pretty chummy.

Sleepy Falcon. It was around 2 a.m. so they kept me company while I made canvas tote bags for the kids at Jude's party.




Lily is developing the funniest personality. She's silly and loves to laugh and will crack herself up all the time. The other day we had dinner and she discovered her fingers fit perfectly inside the noodles. She thought this was hysterical!


Noodle!

She also thought it was fun when Daddy put her on top of the coat rack at church. 
Love this thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment