The Glass Family

The Glass Family

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Valentine's Day--a quick get-away!

Valentine's Day this year was a special treat!

George was invited to an Emergency Medicine conference held at The Homestead here in Virginia to receive and award for his research paper on Child CPR. (It's the same paper he did a poster presentation for at the conference in LA we attended last November.)

On February 13th, he drove down in the early morning, about a 2 hour drive, to attend that day's conference lectures. At noon he was presented with this beautiful plaque:

I wasn't able to make it for the presentation, so another doctor shot this photo with his phone. Way to go, George!

As an added bonus, George was given a free night stay at the resort. When I heard that, I knew I had to make it down somehow. My good friend Melissa offered to watch all three boys overnight (on a school night, no less!) so George and I could enjoy some fun together. I picked up Lance from school a bit early, dropped off all three boys and then was on my way around 2:30.

While I was driving, George went snowboarding on the small slopes. We had planned on going together, but the slopes closed at 4:30, it being a weekday. Bummer.

I had no idea The Homestead was so big! It is a huge, beautiful resort located in the mountains of western Virginia. 

As soon as I got there, we changed into our swim suits and went outside (in the 35 degree weather) to enjoy the hot springs-heated pool and hottub. 
Some of the other doctors from the Conference were there as well.


It was fun to be sitting outside in our swimmies while it was snowing all around us. 

Heading back inside to get ready for dinner.

This was the bedroom we stayed in:
Nice!

Before dinner, we walked around the main building. It was huge and ornate, but in a Southern Charm kind of way. They had many different wings that each had it's own special room: Garden rooms, dance halls, and even...
A Crystal Ballroom! Ha!

The place was practically deserted since it was a Wednesday night. I heard them say they were expecting 3000 people to come on the weekend, though. I'm glad we missed the crowd!

Dinner was free for us as well! We ate at a local Surf 'n Turf in the small town outside the resort. I think the highlight of the meal was listening to a group of women in mink coats trash-talk the food nonstop, steal a shrimp from their neighbor eater's plate while he was at the bathroom (an EM doc that was there for the conference), and when called on it by the guy get all huffy, complain to the manager about the low quality of food and service and storm out without finishing their meal. My jaw was on the floor the whole time. It's hard to believe people like that really exist, even when you meet them in person. George and the other EM guy just laughed and said those people reminded them a lot of drug seekers when they get realize pretending to be in pain isn't getting them any meds. 

Needless to say, dinner was not boring!

George had to work the next day at 7 a.m., so we were on the road by 4:45 a.m. to make the two hour drive back to Charlottesville. We parted ways once we got to the city and while he went to the hospital, I made my way to the Elmer's to pick up the boys. Melissa is amazing, I have to say. I get there and all the boys are dressed, our stuff is together, the blankets folded and ready to be put in the car. Thanks, Melissa and Aric for making this trip possible! I know the boys had a great time and it was nice to spend some time together with George and not worry about the boys because they were in such good hands. You guys are the best!

Free stay at a nice resort, free dinner, and a night together without the kiddos: perfect Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment