The Glass Family

The Glass Family

Monday, July 4, 2011

Black Out

Last night, our power went out.

George was working 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. and had left for his shift a couple hours earlier. Jude was in bed and Lance and I were watching some cartoon together while we waited for it to be bed time. It had been rumbling since the afternoon, but around 8:30 the rain started and the storm began in earnest. All of the sudden, everything went dark.

If I could take a snapshot in time, a memory I could pull out at will and relive, I would have taken one last night. Lance and I got to sit together, without any other distractions, and just be. We watched the storm. We sat on the couch and talked. When we got tired, we went to my room, opened the blinds so we could still see the storm, and cuddled on my bed. We fell asleep under the same blanket while I scratched his back.

It seems that in the rush that is life, these moments are rare. It's not often we get a chance to enjoy a quiet second with those we love. I'm grateful Lance and I, even if it was just one night, got to slow down and remember how nice it is just to be together.

No comments:

Post a Comment