The Glass Family

The Glass Family

Friday, January 21, 2011

Just for today...

It's that time again to write out our New Year's resolutions. I always look forward to this because it feels like a chance to start over with a clean slate, to change what I don't like and become better.

When I started college, my mom printed out a few things for me to hang up in my dorm room. One of them was this poem called "Just for today". I loved it because it helped me put things in perspective and gave me hope that I could be better--a better friend, a better daughter, a better person. I decided that instead of coming up with specific goals this year, I would customize this poem for me. So, here is my resolution. I keep it on the refrigerator door and read through it at least once a day. It's a reminder of what I'm trying to be. I'm definitely not perfect, but I have already felt a difference in our home as I work on my shortcomings.


Just for Today

Just for today, I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice low, be courteous, criticize not one bit. I won't find fault with anything, nor try to improve or regulate anybody else but myself.

Just for today, I will be kind. I may be frustrated or irritated, but today I will be kind.

Just for today, my hands will be soft and gentle. I will use them to show love at every opportunity.

Just for today, I will be consistent. It may be inconvenient and hard, but today I will follow through fairly.

Just for today, I will do one nice thing for each person in my family.  I will show them through my actions my love for them.

Just for today, my face will show my love for my family. It doesn’t matter how upset I am, whenever they look into my face, they will see love.

Just for today, we will spend more time doing activities together and less time in front of the TV.

Just for today, I will be happy. Things may come up that are irritating, upsetting, or frustrating. Happiness is a choice and today I choose to be happy.

Just for today, I will find the good qualities in those around me and focus on the positive.

Just for today, I will find opportunities to teach my children the gospel.

Just for today, I will read my scriptures.

Just for today, I will be a good friend.

Just for today, I will try to live through this day only,
and not tackle all my problems at once.
I can do something for twelve hours that
would appall me if I felt that I had to
keep it up for a lifetime.
 

1 comment:

  1. This is great. It goes so well with Elder Scott's talk from conference. If we are doing are best each day then eventually we will become the type of person that we are trying to be. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete