Our Thanksgiving holiday started early this year. George is heavy into his residency interviews and had a couple lined up for the weekend, so when the Thursday before Thanksgiving rolled around, Jude and I drove Lance to his dad's house so he could fly out to Michigan to visit his Uncle Pete (Scott's brother), Aunt Jessica and little cousin Parker with his dad. George stayed in Charlottesville to work and attend his interview in Richmond on Saturday.
Here are a few pictures I took from Jessica's blog and Scott's flicker account:
Pete is attending Law School at the University of Michigan, so of course they had to show their true colors when they attended a football game. (Lance with his dad, Scott, and Scott's brother Pete with his little boy Parker.)
There were over 110,000 people in attendance at the game! Lance learned pretty quick to cheer for the Blue and "boo" the Red (Ohio State)--a source of family strife because Scott's sister's husband attended Ohio State for Med School. That night on the phone, Lance made sure to teach Jude to say "Go Blue!" too.
At the law school at University of Michigan.
Out getting pizza--Lance and his dad.
Parker, Pete, Lance and Scott at a favorite pizza place.
Lance and Parker. Parker is turning 2 in February, so he's almost exactly Jude's age.
Lance being a good cousin.
Lance and Scott spent a few days in Michigan, then hopped onto another plane to Salt Lake City to visit both sets of Scott's grandparents and to be with Scott's dad and stepmom. That's a lot of traveling!.
While Lance was having fun with the Dahlquist side of his family, Jude and I got to play with our family in Northern Virginia. George was working and interviewing so we mostly relaxed with my mom and siblings Thursday and Friday and then met up with George at his parent's house when he drove up Saturday evening after his interview.
George got to enjoy a couple days of "rest"--which really means he played this as much as possible:
Nate was playing it, too, so it was fun for them to compare where they were in the worlds and discuss aspects of the game.
Monday and Tuesday rolled around and found George off interviewing at two different hospitals again. My mom was working and Jason was in school, so Jude and I got to spend some time with George's mom and Bryce during the day.
Getting some lunch after we picked up Bryce from school on Monday.
Monday night I was supposed to meet George up in DC so I could go to dinner with the residents of the program at George Washington, but because George got out of his interview earlier than expected, he drove back to Ashburn to pick me up. Unfortunately, it took him much longer than he thought to get back into town and by the time he picked me up there was little to no chance of us making the dinner, so we scrapped that idea and had a nice date night, just the two of us. Crab-cakes anyone? Thanks, Mom, for watching Jude!
That night George and I put together the brine for the two turkeys the Glass family was making for Thanksgiving.
Tuesday found us again with George's mom and Bryce. I scanned a bunch of pictures and talked with George's mom about all kinds of things--it was a lot of fun to spend that time with her--and then we left to pick Bryce up from school again. This time we went to lunch at the local McDonald's where they had a large play-place. I don't think Jude ate anything at the restaurant because he and Bryce were having too much fun playing.
Bryce at the end of the slide.
Jude trying to climb up to the crawl-way to get to the slide. He could do it himself for the most part but needed a boost here and there.
Up close to the ceiling in the crawl-way looking for Bryce.
There he his!
That night I was supposed to meet George in Baltimore to attend another dinner for the University of Maryland program, but George once again came home to get me. We left with 2 and a half hours to get us there--and after those 2 and a half hours of driving, we were about half-way to Baltimore. The traffic was so awful it took us an hour to go about 2 miles! We called one of the residents, explained what had happened and then turned around. We ended up having another date night, just the two of us, in Tyson's Corner at Maggiano's, a wonderful Italian restaurant. Wow! Two dates in two days. I have to admit I'm not really that sad we missed both dinners. Having that alone time with George is a rare thing and it was great to do it twice in 24 hours.
We spent the night at my mom's house and Jude, of course, woke up Wednesday morning at his usual time between 6:30 and 7:00.
Watching his favorite show, "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" while I tried to keep him quiet so everyone else could sleep.
We were actually up anyway because George and I went to the Temple that morning with Laura and Tyler. My mom watched Jude and Mason for us. It was great! We left the house around 7:30 and arrived a little before 8:30 at the Temple. We decided to some Sealings which was a lot of fun and the went to the bookstore that was close by. It was so much fun to be with Laura and Tyler!
I tried to put Jude down for a nap when I got back to Mom's house, but he would have nothing to do with it. He apparently had learned to crawl out of his pack-n-play and kept getting out. :( After trying for more than an hour to get him to sleep, I gave up. Amy and I went to get our hair cut and took him with us.
He was an angel and very happy at the salon, but as soon as we hit the car he was zonked. We had to get some last-minute groceries, so we headed to the store. Jude isn't one that transfers easily, so the fact that he spent the entire trip like this:
must mean he was exhausted. Poor guy!
We went back to my mom's house where Jude woke up and decided to help out with the preparations.
Helping Aunt Amy make some chocolate chocolate-chip cookies to go in her "Death by Chocolate".
We then went to George's parent's house and then to Jen's house to help set up for the big dinner the next day. Jen was hosting the Glass family dinner and was expecting 29 people! We ate pizza and helped put the place settings on the tables.
It was a fun time!
Then it was back to the Glass's house to make the stuffing for the turkeys.
George's dad did the "dirty" work and mixed it all together.
I helped George make some pumpkin bread, put Jude to bed and then drove over to my mom's house to see Stephen and Chad who had just gotten into town.
It was great to be together as a family again!
I made a double-batch of yummy rolls while we talked.
And of course Chad gave Jason and Stephen a haircut as he usually does when he's in town.
It was nice to relax all together while the rolls cooked.
Tragedy! I pulled the rolls out of the oven around 1 a.m. and hungrily took a bite. They looked perfect, but the taste was, uh, lacking. After re-reading the instructions, I realized I had left out the salt! No wonder they tasted like flour!
I was devastated as I headed back to the Glass house and so decided to whip up another single batch there so my family could have tasty rolls to take to the dinner (the Simmons were hosting and George and I wouldn't get there until it was time for dessert). I didn't get into bed until 4 a.m., only to wake up at 6:45 a.m. Thanksgiving morning so I could drive back to my mom's house with the rolls and take pictures of everyone running the annual "Turkey Trot" fundraiser.
Needless to say, I started Thanksgiving day rather tired...





No comments:
Post a Comment